On its front we can see an inscription referring to its former function: "This house was financed by the citizens of the town. Here stands the means of protection against the destruction by fire".
The red capital letters of the Hungarian inscription on the wall also refer to the date of construction (1814). Fifteen of the cannon balls found during the earthwork were included in the front as a reminder of bloody battles.
The opening ceremony of the Fire-Engine House, the Fire Tower and the new Town Hall took place on 27 October 1814. In the 19th century the building had numerous inhabitants and tenants. Due to the proximity of the market place, the haberdasher, the milliner, the tobacconist and stationer liked this place and the barber was also popular.
Today the Fire-Engine House functions as the headquarters of the Trade Corporation and the symmetrical front is decorated with the coat of arms of the town and the symbols of three guilds.
The Baroque stone statue of St. John Nepomucene, the patron saint of bridges and waters was originally placed by the bridge leading to the town gate but currently it can be found in a niche. Next to it you can see the statue of St. Florian, the patron saint of fire fighters.
|Address:||8200 Veszprém, Vár str. 1.|